About LadoniaAfter more than a decade of legal battles with the authorities in Sweden over the existence of the artworks Nimis and Arx in the Kullaberg Nature Reserve, Ladonia was declared independent on 2 June 1996…
Ancient History/Creation Myth
There was a legend of a garden in the very far west where the dragon Ladon guarded the golden apples of the Hesperides, apples that gave immortality. The myths tell us that Ladon was eventually slain by Hercules, and thus immortality was placed in the world and that event introduced tension between mortal and immortal time.
Ladonia was proclaimed independent on the 2nd of June, 1996, by Lars Vilks. Vilks had been working for many years (since 1980) with sculptures in wood (Nimis) and concrete (Arx) at the Kullaberg Nature Reserve in the south of Sweden. The Swedish authorities spent more than a decade trying to force the sculptures to be taken down or destroyed. See our Timeline
In 1996, most of the legal battles had been resolved one way or another, and the sculptures still stood. So Vilks concluded that he had achieved a permanent occupation of the land and de facto control thereof, and he proclaimed Ladonia as a sovereign country with a surface of 1 square km and made himself Chancellor of Ladonia together with a government of ministers.
In 1997, when the number of citizens had grown to more than 1,000, elections were held. Ladonia became a Republican Monarchy with a president, Fernando Rodrigues (1997–2004) living in Brazil and a queen, Ywonne I (1997–2011) living in Sweden.
At the last census in January 2020, Ladonia had 22,858 registered citizens and more than 125 ministries.
Fun Facts and National Symbols
- The National Anthem of Ladonia is the sound of throwing a stone into water.
- The Ladonian language consists of two words: “waaaaalll” and “ÿp”.
- The currency is Örtug, 1 Örtug is around 10 Swedish Krona or 1 Euro.
- Ladonia has its own timezone (LST – Ladonia Standard Time) which is UTC/GMT +0:57
(Three minutes slower than neighboring Sweden)
- The Constitution of Ladonia explicitly excludes men from the throne. There has not been, nor will ever be, a King of Ladonia. Only Queens.
See National Symbols & Currency for additional information.
- Election for president takes place every third year.
- In January 2020, at the last census, Ladonia had more than 22,858 registered citizens.
- The interim President is the President’s Old Shoes, living in Sweden.
- The monarch is HM The Queen Carolyn, living in the USA.
See Ladonian Government for additional information about the government, elected officials and ministries.
See The Monarchy for information on the Queen, the Royal Family, and the Nobility.