The true story about the fight for immortality, independence and freedom
Time was probably set in motion when the dragon Ladon was watching the golden apples of the Hesperides, apples that gave immortality. They were guarded in vain by Ladon as he probably was killed by Hercules. Thus immortality was placed in the world and introduced tension between mortal and immortal time.
Ladonia was proclaimed independent on the 2nd of June, 1996, by Lars Vilks. Vilks had been working for many years (since 1980) with sculptures in wood (Nimis) and concrete (Arx) at the Kullaberg Nature Reserve in the south of Sweden. He had met violent opposition from the Swedish authorities. See our Timeline
In 1996, Vilks considered that he had reached a position of permanent occupation of the land and de facto control thereof. Ladonia was thus proclaimed as a sovereign country with a surface of 1 square km and Vilks made himself Chancellor of Ladonia together with a government of ministers.
In 1997, when the number of citizens had grown to more than 1,000, elections were held. Ladonia became a Republican Monarchy with a president, Fernando Rodrigues (1997–2004) living in Brazil and a queen, Ywonne I (1997–2011) living in Sweden. Ladonia’s government consists of more than 100 ministers from all over the world.
Fun Facts and National Symbols
- The National Anthem of Ladonia is the sound of throwing a stone into water.
- The Ladonian language consists of two words: “waaaall” and “ÿp”.
- The currency is Örtug, 1 Örtug is around 10 Swedish Krona or 1 Euro.
- Ladonia has its own timezone (LST – Ladonia Standard Time) which is UTC/GMT +0:57
(Three minutes slower than neighboring Sweden)
- The Constitution of Ladonia explicitly excludes men from the throne. There has not been, nor will ever be, a King of Ladonia. Only Queens.
See National Symbols & Currency for additional information.
- Election for president takes place every third year.
- In 2014, at the last census, Ladonia had more than 17,000 registered citizens.
- The current President is Christopher Matheoss, living in France.
- The monarch is HM The Queen Carolyn, living in the USA.
See Ladonian Government for additional information about the government, elected officials and ministries.
See The Monarchy for information on the Queen, the Royal Family, and the Nobility.